• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Hiking and Water

daysonatrain

Bluelighter
Hey All,

Im about to embark on a 50 mile 3-4 day hike in Arizona. Im curious what people would recommend for the amount of water I should drink a day. The elevation will be a steady 5-6000 feet, alternating between these two, so there wont be huge days of uphill hiking. The temp is around 70 for a high during the day and 38 at night, and dry dry dry, just about perfect for hiking imo. Im planning to go with 4 liters a day, and am stashing water caches near the places im camping each night. Each day will be approx 15-20 miles of hiking. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.

A gallon of water should be about right for the day time.

You said you'll be around a water source at night?

no, there is no fresh water here, i will be cacheing (sp?) a gallon plus approx every 15-20 miles

Ah, well then you should stash enough to drink a gallon of water a day minimum. Extra stashed away at certain points won't hurt. You can drink up the extra at night where you've stashed them and just take off on the trail with a little more than a gallon, which will get lighter as the day wears on.

I'd take a lot of water just in case. I did a 19 mile hike in a day (it was pretty hot) and went through over 6 liters.. and was dying of thirst by the end. I was even willing to drink out of a river I was so thirsty (diarrhea be damned).

4L a day for a 50 mile hike is good. I would bring some electrolytes (gatorade mix) as well. You could get by with less water, but it will start to become uncomfortable if you push it. I once ran 50 miles on only 2 liters and did not die. If this is your first time in the desert, you might want to carry 2 days of water (8 liters - 8 kg), just in case you don't make it to your stash.

I agree with socko. It'll take plenty more than a gallon to keep you set for each day. I go through a gallon of water a day with no exercise. :/

For a 50 mile, 3-4 day hike, I'd suggest at the VERY least one gallon. I'd bring two or three to have on you at once, just in case you get stuck somewhere.